Who we are
Norman, the USS Thagards annual collection of fiction, poetry and artwork is celebrating over eleven years of publication. What began as fans writing new adventures in the Star Trek universe has expanded to encompass everything from Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer to Xena and the X-Files. We also take pride in presenting totally original science fiction and horror stories.
Norman is named after Dr. Norman Thagard, an astronaut and scientist who has spent time on the space shuttle and Mir space station. The magazine also has a Trek reference in Norman, the android from the episode I, Mudd. Profits from the sale of Norman go to support our club charity, Project H.O.M.E.
How can I be a part of it?
We are looking for writers, artists and poets for upcoming issues. Submissions can feature any established sci-fi, horror or fantasy universe (i.e. Star Trek, Doctor Who, Buffy/Angel, Farscape, etc) or can be totally original fiction. Heres what to do.
- Submissions should be science fiction, fantasy or horror related
- Material should generally be PG rated. Please proof read your submission for typos, spelling errors, grammar problems and plot holes.
- Your submission should tell a complete story and feature some element that will hold the readers attention, building up to a suspenseful predicament and ending with a resolution (not necessarily a good resolution).
- If you are writing for an established universe your characters, the situations and elements of the story must be true to form. You may explore different aspects of the characters and situations, but your story should retain the spirit and "internal logic" of the original
- Your work should not exceed 15,000 words. No multi-part stories will be accepted without prior approval by the editor.
- Submissions should be emailed to the following address: Norman@ussthagard.net using either TXT or MS Word format. Please include your name, address, email and phone numbers.
- As we do this as a labor of love and to benefit charity, we can only offer a discounted copy of the Norman in which your work appears.
- The editor of Norman reserves the right to accept or reject all submissions.
- Please inquire to the email below for artist guidelines
How do I get a copy of Norman?
For back issues, please check our merchandise page where you will find prices and availability.
For information on the current issue, check out our up to date web page. Norman 012
Please direct any inquiries to the following email address: Norman@ussthagard.net